September 2023 – March 2024
- Are you ready to make a deeper commitment to racial justice ministry?
- Have you completed our initial POB Antiracism Training or equivalent?
- Do you want to work in community with other faith leaders as you become a co-conspirator to eliminate systemic racism?
This Cohort is for You
Whether your leadership has been centered in racial justice for decades or you are yearning to take steps to embody antiracist values in your ministry, this cohort will offer a space to learn, explore, and practice bringing racial justice to the core of your leadership. Develop your own leadership style and incorporate antiracist practices into your own ministry at the congregational or Presbytery level.
The Dismantling Racism Team (DRT) knows that successful antiracism work in the Presbytery must take root in our individual congregations and through the various ministries of the Presbytery. We are heartened that many of our congregations have taken the pledge to be Matthew 25 congregations. Still, the congregational leaders called to dismantle racism know this work is difficult and often hard to sustain. This cohort will provide strategies to move from study to action and build momentum in congregations and ministries. We have heard that it can be especially difficult spearheading this work alone. The DRT is excited to pilot this program for teams of 2 to 3 persons from individual congregations or Presbytery level groups and committees.
Saturday, September 23, 2023, in person (beginning with lunch), and 5 Monday Evenings at 7
p.m. (on Zoom) – October 23, November 13, 2023, and January 8, February 12 and March 11, 2024. Coaching sessions will be offered in between the group classes.
Antiracism for Faithful Leadership Cohort Includes
- Monthly facilitated discussions on the Cross Roads/NEXT Church Antiracism Curriculum
- Monthly Coaching Sessions for Your Cohort Team
- Access to Antiracism Video Curriculum developed by NEXTChurch
- Opportunity to develop relationships with others committed to Dismantling racism
We Embrace the Following NEXT Church Values
NEXT Church values opportunities that lead to impact as a way to interrupt a consumer culture. In a consumer culture, participants sit back and consume what an expert is saying without ownership for learning and growth. But if we want to transform our communities, our churches, and ourselves, we must play an active role to create impact. NEXT Church also believes the hard work of learning that leads to justice is best done in an accountable community. As people of faith, we believe community is essential for faithful discernment, support, and mutual accountability. Cohort participants are invited to challenge and hold one another accountable. By registering for a cohort, you accept the invitation into this community as an active learner with a commitment towards actionable next steps.
If you are enrolling in this cohort representing a congregation, we ask that your Session vote to endorse your participation. We believe it’s important for Sessions to understand and fully support your ministry going forward. Although not required, it also offers the possibility for you to report periodically on what you are learning. An informed Session that endorses your work is more likely to be behind your ministry and help you succeed.
White Participant $129 Person of Color Participant $69
Note: The lower fee for People of Color reflects our understanding that they will labor in a more costly way as participants than White members. The Presbytery of Baltimore is also covering a substantial portion of the overall cost as part of our commitment to dismantling racism within our churches and community. Provided you faithfully complete the cohort, you may request a refund of your tuition from the Dismantling Racism Team.
Please contact one of the following:
- Susan Krehbiel, email@example.com , Social Justice Consultant
- Charese Jordan Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ruling Elder at Knox Presbyterian Church and Co-Moderator of the Dismantling Racism Team
- Guy Moody, email@example.com, Ruling Elder at St. John United and Co-Moderator of the Dismantling Racism Team