Due to the coronavirus pandemic, only several grants were awarded, although some had to deviate from their original implementation plans.
- Faith Presbyterian, $4,000 : Family Engagement Nights with Walter P Carter Elementary/Middle School.
- Falston Presbyterian, $2,000 : To support 2 projects: Kids SOAR (expand) – monthly community engagement/service activities for children with local ministry organizations; Blessing Bus (new) – surprise appreciation for ministry staff/leadership around Harford County.
- Knox Presbyterian, $4,500 : YouSpeak – to continue this anti-bullying educational program for elementary children with the Dawson Center
- Maryland Presbyterian, $7,500 : Emergency Food Pantry – shelving, moving equipment, supplies
- St. John United, $1,000 : Bryant Woods Elementary School partnership – sports and wellness program with students and parents, includes new soccer teams and parent/teacher appreciation events.
In September, the Commission on Reconciliation issued its first ever Community Engagement Grants to six different congregations in Baltimore Presbytery. The Commission received 9 applications, for more than double the $25,000 grant pool. Commission members were truly inspired by the varied and creative ways our congregations are engaging their communities and committed to deepening those relationships. Here are the 2019 grantees:
- Dickey Memorial, $2.500 : Community engagement and discernment for the future with Dickey Hill Elementary and surrounding neighborhoods
- Faith Presbyterian, $6,000 : Partnership with Walter P. Carter Elementary School, Family Engagement Nights
- First Annapolis, $6,000 : Listening sessions and creation of pilot tutoring program
- Knox Presbyterian, $6,400 : Starting “You Speak,” a teen coping and anti-bullying program in partnership with Dawson Safe Haven Teen Center
- Maryland Presbyterian, $1,600 : Community organizing training for outreach to children and families
- St. John United, $6,000 : Expanding partnership with Bryant Woods Elementary School to start two new soccer teams, appreciation events and parenting workshops