On Tuesday, the U.S. Senate will take up this vital legislation. Please join other people of faith in encouraging our Senators, Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen, to vote for the strongest possible version of this Federal bill. Here are the principles that faith leaders are encouraging Congress to address:
- Ensure access and affordable testing and treatment for the coronavirus, regardless of income, location, disability, or immigration status.
- Ensure people have the support they need to take sick leave and care for family members without risking their jobs or their paychecks.
- Ensure low-income workers and individuals facing hardship have the assistance they need to put food on the table and provide for their families.
- Give special care and attention to individuals at increased risk of infection, including individuals in prison, in detention, in long-term care facilities, and experiencing homelessness.
- Focus economic stimulus measures on low-income and vulnerable communities. Such policies have the most substantial economic impact.
- Ensure that emergency assistance for low-wage workers and vulnerable individuals comes before any bailouts for major industries and businesses.
- Oppose any efforts to use the pandemic as an excuse to further militarize the border or exacerbate immigration deportation and detention.