2024 Applications will be accepted April 1st – May 17th.
The Presbytery of Baltimore has established the Robert F. and Rosa M. Ferguson Student Scholarship Fund for the purpose of providing financial assistance to deserving high school students who wish to further their education at an accredited college or university. Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson – he, a long-time member of Grace Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, Maryland, and she, a long-time educator in Baltimore City and County – generously gave the resources to fund this scholarship.
Priority shall be given to financially deserving students whose family income is modest. The amount of the scholarship shall be $5,000 for one year. Recipients may reapply for subsequent years; however, no representation is made that a scholarship will be awarded in subsequent years.
Criteria and Requirements
- The student must rank in the top one-third of his/her class.
- The student must have been involved in school or community service activities.
- The student must possess strong moral character.
- The student must be an active communicant member of a congregation in the Presbytery of Baltimore, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- The student must attend an accredited college or university approved by the Scholarship Committee.
- The student must complete an application form and provide a copy of his/her scholastic transcript as well as letters of character reference as described below.
- The student and his/her parents or guardians must provide evidence of financial need through disclosure of personal financial information and copies of tax forms
- from previous years.
- A Scholarship Committee, made up of persons experienced in high school guidance, education, or higher education, shall review all applications and administer the Student Scholarship Fund. The Scholarship Committee shall award the scholarship by July 1 for the following school year. Applications, etc. must be received in the Presbytery Office by May 17, 2024.
The scholarship shall be paid directly to the college/university where the student has been accepted and shall attend. Written verification of the student’s acceptance by the college/university must be furnished by the student. The Scholarship Committee shall be responsible for authorizing the Presbytery treasurer to remit the funds directly to the college/university.
The Robert F. and Rosa M. Ferguson Student Scholarship Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin, or physical handicap in its selection process. All applications shall be kept in complete confidence and used only for the purpose of this scholarship.
Confidential letters of character reference from at least three people not related to the applicant must be provided. Only one of the letters may be written by a high school faculty member. One letter should be written by a member of the student’s church or church staff. These letters of character reference should be mailed directly and confidentially to the Presbytery of Baltimore (see below).
The Student application form must be properly completed and given to the high school guidance counselor who should be requested to attach an official high school transcript to it; both the form and transcript should be mailed directly and confidentially to the Presbytery of Baltimore (see below).
The completed Parent/Guardian application form with copies of previous income tax returns should be mailed to the Presbytery of Baltimore (see below).
Send all completed application forms, transcripts, and letters of character reference by May 17, 2024 to the following address:
Presbytery of Baltimore
Robert F. and Rosa M. Ferguson Student Scholarship Fund Committee
5400 Loch Raven Blvd. Baltimore, Maryland 21239