General resources and suggestions for education
- Make announcements about how to be good stewards of God’s earth.
- Reuse supplies and purchase sustainable supplies for Christian education.
- Collect disposable items to use in children’s craft projects (egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, bottle caps).
- Hold an educational event in addition to Earth Day Sunday worship to celebrate Earth Day, which occurs every year on April 22.
- Schedule earth care speakers or programs: Presbyterians for Earth Care Regional Representatives
- Provide books on earth care at your church’s library: Earth Ministry Book list
Educate members on sustainable lifestyle choices
- Encourage members to give up bottled water.
- Start a book club on earth care issues.
- Encourage church members to perform home energy audits or carbon calculations.
- Encourage members to learn about environmental health choices.
- PHP’s Just Living series, resources on lifestyle integrity
- Encourage church members to invest in socially and environmentally responsible stocks. Learn more from PC(USA) Mission Responsibility Through Investment (MRTI).
Earth care themed DVDs with faith-based guides
- “Cherishing God’s Earth”
- Renewal: A documentary about people of faith working on environmental stewardship with tools
- Earth Ministry Study Guide and clips to accompany Ken Burns’ The National Parks: America’s Best Idea
- Deep Down: A documentary on mountaintop removal coal mining
- Let There Be . . . Stuff ? Six-session curriculum connecting faith, consumerism and environmental stewardship from GreenFaith and the Story of Stuff Project
- Fresh: A documentary about sustainable food, with accompanying study guide from GreenFaith
Find earth care curricula
- Eco-Justice Ministries Curriculum Review for all ages
- Just Eating? Practicing Our Faith at the Table, Presbyterian Hunger Program Curriculum with versions for middle school students (available in English and Spanish) and adults
- God’s Creation, Our Health: Taking Action Together is a PCUSA four-session study for older elementary youth that connects faith, environmental stewardship, and young people in Peru to young people in our U.S. congregations:
Vacation Bible School curriculum with an earth care theme
- Solar Under the Sun curriculum for VBS
- Living Waters for the World Clean Water for All God’s Children VBS curriculum
- New Community Project VBS curriculum
The preceding tips and resources were derived from PC(USA)’s
Earth Care Congregations
2018 Guide to Greening Presbyterian Churches.