The following tribute video to the Board of Lady Managers on their 140th Anniversary in 2017 was made by GBMC.
Partly founded by Presbyterians, The Greater Baltimore Medical Center continues to be supported by Presbyterian Boards. As a community hospital, it was awarded the coveted 2020 Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award, becoming the only healthcare system in Maryland to be so recognized.
As GBMC continues to play an integral part in fighting this pandemic, you are invited to learn more:
- Subscribe to GBMC’s community health newsletter
- Visit their Coronavirus information website, where you can find important articles on vaccinations and view Dr. Chessare’s bi-monthly webinar updates on the current COVID circumstances in our community.
In keeping with their rich 143 year history, the Board of Lady Managers remains very active today, as the Greater Baltimore Presbyterian community continues its tradition to support the medical advances and specialized care provided by GBMC. Examples of BOLM’s continued assistance include:
- Those afflicted with vision, hearing, or speech conditions. As technology has advanced there is a much greater patient need for specialized devices that are now available. Many are not covered by insurance or are not affordable.
- Additional support has been given for work with cochlear implants helping little children to hear for the first time or the elderly to be able to communicate with family and friends.
- Other areas continue to be supported by BOLM or The Board of Governors are GBMC’s remarkable cleft palate program which provides specialized bottles and medical tape.
- The hospital’s recent return to Baltimore City to the original site of the Presbyterian Charity Hospital. There GBMC has established a full-service clinic at the Helping Up Mission to serve mission residents, their families and neighbors living in East Baltimore.
BOLM By-laws state “The Presbyterian Board of Lady Managers, Inc. shall consist of appointed members from the various churches. Names of proposed new members with the endorsement of the Minister or Session of the Church they represent, shall be approved by the Executive Board. They must be members of a Presbyterian Church in Maryland.” Each church is encouraged to provide members.
The eager commitment and energy present over one hundred years ago generated by dedicated Presbyterians is now in our hands. Although locally under-represented, both BOLM and its traditionally male counterpart, the Board of Governors invite your support in continuing this proud tradition. So many parishioners living in the greater Towson community welcome the medical services provided by GBMC.
The Board of Lady Managers hopes to continue to support such vital medical services and is always looking for new members that would like to be part of making a difference in the community, and they invite members from all Presbyterian faiths to join them. Contact Anne Perry, President, for more information.