Proudly supporting charity cares since 1877
The Presbyterian Board of Lady Managers (BOLM) has partnered with GBMC since it began in 1965, but the story goes all the way back to 1877. Then Dr. Julian J. Chisolm, Dean of the University of Maryland Medical School and a former Civil War physician, having opened a clinic in his garage to serve patients needing treatment for severe eye, and ear problems reached out to Mrs. Payton R. Harrison, a member of Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church to ask for help. She invited 14 women, representing over a dozen local Presbyterian churches, to meet in her home and BOLM began.
Initially they eagerly supplied provisions for the clinic, which were donated by their respective churches, and volunteered time and personal resources to literally work the wards and keep valuable patient medical records. This specialized clinic evolved into the Presbyterian Eye, Ear, and Throat Charity Hospital and in 1884 it moved to a building located at 1017 E. Baltimore Street. The Presbyterian Board of Governors, its governing body, was comprised of local Presbyterian ministers, business leaders, and hospital employees. Eventually this Board was decreased in size for more efficient governance and BOLM continued to support their efforts by raising funds from generous Presbyterian churches, obtaining medical equipment, and serving as ambassadors to the greater Baltimore community. Both Boards continued to actively support patients needing financial help with their care centered around vision, hearing, or otolaryngology conditions.
When the Presbyterian Charity Hospital’s residency program was threatened and that of the former Hospital for the Woman of Maryland (commonly know as Woman’s Hospital and also located in Baltimore City) was also jeopardized, the management of the two popular institutions decided to merge.
They purchased land in Towson and moved to Baltimore County creating The Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC) which was dedicated on October 2, 1965. The rest is history. GBMC has become the hub for excellent medical care serving communities throughout the Baltimore metro area. Both Boards still exist and continue to actively support specialized care for patients needing financial aid in those areas which Dr. Chisholm first promoted.
If you are interested in being a part of this proud tradition, contact Anne Perry.